Saturday, January 1, 2011

Keeping Up With the Joneses

I'm sure you've all heard the phrase "Keeping up with the Joneses", right? What does that really mean? I have often wondered this too and so I decided to do some research and here’s what I found:

• "Keeping up with the Joneses" is a popular catchphrase in many parts of the English-speaking world. It refers to the desire to be seen as being as good as one's neighbors or contemporaries using the comparative benchmarks of social caste or the accumulation of material goods.
• The origin of this phrase is rooted in the popular comic strip of the same name created by cartoonist Arthur R. "Pop" Momand. The strip debuted in 1916 in the New York World, but strips appear in collections dated as early as April 1, 1913. The strip ran in American newspapers for 28 years, and was eventually adapted into books, films, and musical comedies. The "Joneses" of the title were neighbors of the strip's main characters, and were spoken of but never actually seen in person.

Here are some photos I found that are funny but oh so true!



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Playlist :)


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones